And I’m all out of blog posty-stuff.
It’s been a busy few weeks. Here’s a quick rundown, the good and the bad:
- A mentally ill parishoner burned down the church my wife and children attend, doing millions of dollars in damage and forcing them to seek temporary space for the next 9-12 months.
- My wife got swine flu and, mostly, recovered.
- My father came for a visit!
- Junior spent the first night of my father’s visit throwing up.
- I had to go to Austin for a few days while the Siren was sick. The Lass and I tried to work out a meeting in the holographic projection we call the real world, but our schedules didn’t mesh.
- A case that was going to have me in Peoria for a week and a half straight for an arbitration settled at the last minute.
- I wore my Vibram FiveFingers for a half-hour treadmill run shortly after my last post, and they chafed in a couple of spots badly enough that my feet bled. I’ll try them again to see if I can break them in a little, but I think they’re just a size or two too small.
Well, enough of that. We’re all in reasonable good health, I’ve started to get some more work done on Breezeway, despite having a busy time at work (I can’t recommend Merlin Mann’s recent post, “First, Care,” highly enough to assist you in getting off your personal stick, by the way). My running is off and on but I’m registered for the Shamrock Shuffle and getting ready for the start of the racing season in less than two months.
Unfocused Girl and I are testing for our high green belts in taekwondo next week, so today was board-breaking practice ahead of the test. Witness the Unfocused Family’s destructive might:
That’s five boards: Unfocused Girl and I each broke two, and Junior broke one. After TKD, Unfocused Girl and I take a marital arts weapons class. We recently moved from nunchaka to bo sticks, and our new bo sticks arrived today:
Don’t let the smile fool you — we Unfocuseds are totally badass.
That stick looks dangerous!
Too bad those shoes hurt your feet enough to bleed. That doesn’t sound like fun at all. Can you put some kind of gel (or lard) on your feet to prevent that?
We are signed up for the shuffle, too. I need to get moving. I have a lot of trouble with motivation during the winter.
Motivating to run in the winter is hard, all right. I have a lot of trouble getting up early enough to run in the morning when it’s dark, especially when I don’t go to bed early enough, which is most of the time.
I don’t know about the FiveFingers – I’ll try them for some shorter times on the treadmill, see if I can break them in at all.