Projects undertaken in the Unfocused household in the waning days of 2008:
- I made a shield for Unfocused Girl’s impromptu Athena costume, using a cardboard cake circle and duct tape.
- Mrs. Unfocused hung Unfocused Girls’ giant paper mache sea creatures from the ceiling of the kids’ room.
- I started a new short story, because I need a break from outlining Project Hometown and I wasn’t at my desk to work on the revisions of Meet the Larssons.
- Mrs. Unfocused made a quickie Bolt birthday cake for Junior. No pictures — I’ll post photos of the more elaborate one she’ll make for his birthday party in a couple of weeks.
- We learned to play two of the games the kids got from Santa: Clue, Jr., and the Scooby-Doo Haunted House 3D board game.
- I started teaching Unfocused Girl how to play chess.
- I made Junior cry by capturing one of his pieces when he demanded that I teach him chess, too.
We don’t have any particular plans for tonight — we’ll probably watch a movie with the kids, stage a fake countdown around 9pm, go outside and make some noise, then put them to bed and go back downstairs to have some champagne. Or some more champagne.
Happy New Year to you and yours, and here’s hoping 2009 is a better year overall than 2008 has been.